Thursday, December 11, 2008

Embracing Christmas

Avery’s preschool hosted a Christmas Celebration today. Part one included a parent-student craft time, and then a Christmas program. Dan and I were a little skeptical about the Christmas program portion of the morning. Skeptical about what the school was planning, skeptical about Avery’s level of cooperation, etcetera.

The program began with the teacher lining the students up shoulder-to-shoulder facing the parents. Seventeen students facing forty plus family members all armed with cameras, and camcorders (if I had been on the student side of the room I would have been intimidated). The teacher welcomed the parents, and then led Avery and her classmates through three Bible verses complete with actions. I couldn’t believe it—nearly twenty three-year-olds stood together and recited their verses, and performed their ‘choreography.’ I took a quick glance around the room, and, like me, all us parental types had these dumb silly grins on our faces, hearts bursting, tears flowing. After the verses the children sang a couple of songs, followed by an activity/story led by the Preschool Director.

I was (am) so proud of Avery. I was thrilled to see her stand in line, and do as she was told. And, she even threw in a couple of bows for good measure. I love this kid’s spunk. She might have a hard time learning how to use her spunk for good, but I’m confident she’ll get it.

So, although I’ve been trudging toward Christmas a bit, this morning’s activities sparked a little renewal in me. And, although the ‘stuff’ of Christmas still wears me thin, I’m so grateful for the fresh reminder of the real reason why we celebrate Christmas—the anticipation and celebration of our savior’s birth.

Avery "helping" Dan set up the tree.


















Icing some Christmas cookies.













Enjoying the first substantial snow fall of the season.













I just had to post this picture--Dan and Avery having a jam session.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your post (and others in past!), Susan. Love your writing. :)

Had fun with Lora Nordstrom last eve at the WBC women's event. Your name came up in our conversation as we were chatting in the car. Blessings! Annie