Sunday, July 15, 2007

What We Do For Our Kids

Dan has been very busy with work lately, so I decided to take Avery to a Ralph’s World concert on Saturday. For those of you that aren’t familiar with Ralph, he does little mini-concerts/shows on the Disney Channel. He sings silly kid songs that Avery thinks are pretty cool. So, on Saturday, I figured, “hey, a couple of our playgroup friends will be at the concert and Avery loves Ralph’s World, so why not?”

Well, it seems that 4,000 others had the same idea, and as we got closer to the concert site, I saw the lines and lines of SUV’s and minivans, many of which were jamming out to Ralph tunes. Although we were there well in advance of the concert starting, we parked a good mile out from the concert site (well, it felt like a mile—the rough terrain, and Avery in tow made it feel like a mile plus!)

So, we left the minivan lot and headed toward the concert area. I couldn’t help but notice all the strollers and wagons—WOW. I thought, “Okay Avery, you better love this!”

The concert started and Avery sort of liked the first song. Then she sat in my lap, and started grabbing my face and saying “bye-bye?” Perhaps it was the heat? Maybe the loud music, or the 4,000 other attendees?

You know what’s funny about a kid’s rock concert? When you look around many of the kids are just kind of hanging out. You know who’s jamming? You’re right: the parents. It was then (six songs later, towing Avery back to the car), it came to me: “Gosh, what we do for our kids!” We often look like dummies, and go to a kid’s rock concert. But isn’t that part of what this is all about, loving our kids, and, at times, looking foolish in the process? At least this is self-realization foolishness. Many years from now Avery will likely be telling me how foolish or dumb she thinks I am. And I’ll likely say, “You’re right.”

On a much more serious and somber note, Dan’s grandfather passed away on Friday evening. Although he had been ill for sometime now, the reality and permanency of death can still be difficult to fully embrace and acknowledge.

So, while Dan’s gone Avery and I will do our best to stay busy. One thing’s for sure: no more concerts.

1 comment:

Tallentsfamily said...

Amen sister....
I like to try to forget me doing the "mommy train" on my hands and knees while 8 months pregnant and Wyatt sitting across the room waving- yeah - I decided that music class was for the birds and we never returned.!
sorry to hear about Dan's granpa- our prayers are with you!