Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ordinary

I love it when an ordinary moment becomes extra-ordinary. It doesn't happen often enough, which is mainly because the upgrade from ordinary to extraordinary requires the right amount of perspective and the ability (and availability) to see it.

Here's an example: Avery had her first encounter with a rainbow a few nights ago. To Dan and me the rainbow was "cool, neat--take a look!" Avery's response was total amazement, and complete awe. She couldn't take her eyes off of it, and kept saying, "so beautiful!" It's hard to know how to explain a rainbow to a three-year-old. The scientific explanation wouldn't quite do, and the story of God flooding the earth seemed a little over her head (no pun intended), so we kept it simple: God made the rainbow, and isn't it......beautiful.


And wouldn't you know it.....I was looking through the camera, and a few nights prior to the rainbow appearing, I had taken a picture of Dan reading "Old MacNoah Had an Ark." This picture captures the E-I-E-I-O sequence, and yes, Romey doesn't quite get it yet. And don't we all have moments where we don't quite get it? Yep, that's a whole other blog topic.

No comments: