Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mad Libs

Finally. After a long, long, grueling, and, at times, boring summer, school started today. The heavens opened, the angels sang, and we made our way to another preschool orientation session. I’d love to say that this preschool orientation session was full of new and helpful information, but alas it was remarkably similar to last year’s. The primary difference between this session, and last year’s session, was that last year I was smart enough to hire a sitter for Romey. There’s nothing like sitting through twice-hashed information chasing a ping-pong ball around the room---a ping-pong ball that has an extreme fascination with babies (and at a preschool orientation session the baby population is booming). And of the said babies, some of their mothers are quite cool with a ping-pong ball stopping and admiring, and others who are like, “Get your ping pong ball out of here! This orientation session is life-giving and extremely interesting!” You know you’re listening to a preschool teacher speak when there are multiple props (some of which make cool noises), and he/she tends to converse like you’re playing a game of Mad Libs. And by that I mean that the speaker is speaking and periodically pausing so you can ‘fill in the blank.’ And while the speaker is waiting for you to ‘fill in the blank’ they are courteously turning their head and cupping their ear because doing so allows for them to HEAR YOUR RESPONSE MORE CLEARLY. What?

So, I’m chasing a ping-pong, playing a little Mad Libs, and had a moment of, “Ugh. This is me.” I am the mother of a preschooler. I drive a mini-van. I have a fat tush, and am wearing some seriously slouchy clothes. I love this stage of life (really do) but sometimes I feel a little….ugh. And then I snap out of it because I know I have much to be grateful for, and should play Mad Libs with a joyful heart. But, selfishly, sometimes I don’t want to play Mad Libs, and am hopelessly faking it.

For tomorrow I’m praying for an attitude adjustment, and hoping that it takes root before it’s time to take Avery to Disney on Ice……

The first day of 4-year-old preschool.

Wow! She has changed a lot in a year! Check out last year's first day of preschool picture.

1 comment:

Lindsey @ I Run in Heels said...

I can just picture the teacher talking with that special voice that only preschool teachers have. You should talk to her that way at your parent-teacher conference. "Avery has had a really ________ year. She thinks you're full of ________." Joy, of course joy! :)