Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 2009 Re-Cap—Enigma, Tornado, Buttons, and Hells Angels

December. Glad it happened; even more glad that it’s over. Okay, I’ll admit it. I’m a bit of a scrooge. The ‘stuff’ of Christmas and the consumerism of it all really wear me thin. It takes a major effort to dig up my Christmas spirit, oh, but I get ahead of myself. (I do have a new Christmas tradition I’d love to share with you. More on this later).

We started the month with Avery’s first parent-teacher conference. It went well. Some things are going really well for Avery at school, and some things aren’t going so well (Ave, we'll talk about this someday if you really want to know. In the meantime, it would be helpful if you wouldn’t scream at the top of your lungs when you flush the school’s potty. Thanks.). In short, Avery’s teacher feels that she is an enigma, prompting me to ask: is there a school for enigmas?

And then the tornado blew through, and Romey turned two. Wow, she’s a doosy. A lot of fun, but boy can that kid scream!

Happy 2nd Birthday Romey!

And then one day Avery decided to stick a button up her nose, and the interchange went a little something like this:

Avery (who was up in her room for a time out): Mom, I’ve got something to tell you. I’ve got a button in my nose.

Me (looking up Avery’s nostril and not seeing anything): What? Are you telling me the truth?

Avery (getting anxious): Yeah, I’ve got a pink button up my nose.

Me (grabbing my emergency stash of gummy worms, handing it to Ave, and calling the doctor): Okay, let me call someone.

So, I called the doctor who asked if Avery was breathing normal (yes), and was she passing air through both nostrils (yes, I think so).

At this point I’m not convinced that the crazy kid really put a button up her nose, at which points she starts sneezing, and sneezing. I ask her to blow her nose really hard, and wouldn’t you know it…..THERE’S a BUTTON in her NOSE! A pink button!

I’m crying and laughing and trying to pry the button out of her nose. I finally tweeze it out and am so taken aback by what has just occurred that I collapsed on the floor crying, and Avery and Romey join in, and it’s just a big hot mess. No one ever warned me about this kind of stuff. And here’s the documentation, and Avery you OWE me BIG for this one.


And speaking of owing us big, we’ve got some fantastic footage from Avery’s Christmas program. She was an angel, and opted to do the opposite of what she was supposed to—laying on the floor, funny faces….we were *proud*.

And another trip to Nebraska went bust due to the out-of-this-world snow accumulation, and nasty winter weather we received. We had a quiet Christmas this year, topped off with a pizza and a movie (and me in between--see below).


Regrettably we didn’t send out Christmas cards this year because Dan’s pesky i-Phone wouldn’t sit still or make a nice smiley face (since his phone is part of our family.....). I just kind of gave up on the idea by the time the third week of December rolled around, so figure I’ll give it my best effort come winter 2010 but don’t hold your breath….

Okay, it’s a wrap. Cheers 2009!–what an amazing year! We certainly are, without question, out-of-this-world blessed.

See you in 2010!

Gorgeous Romey

Avery and Romey by the Christmas tree

Cutie pie

Snow bunny sporting her new Hanna gear!

No comments: