Monday, January 4, 2010

0 for 2

It’s a good thing that my sense of self worth doesn’t hinge upon whether or not my children like me. Today I’m 0 for 2.

Sadly, it’s been one of those days where the litanies of words coming out of my daughter’s mouth have literally sandbagged me. By 8:00 a.m. I heard, “You’re not a nice Mommy!”; “This breakfast is gross!”; and “I want a new Mommy!” And, to make matters worse, a listing off of names with whom Avery deemed to be acceptable replacements/upgrades followed “I want a new Mommy.” Great, let’s put names and faces to her back-up plan; women that I’m certain don’t want the job.

It was interesting whom she mentioned—I won’t call them out on the blog, but she actually made great choices, and in an ever so polite tone I relayed that observation. I told her that she “was stuck with me but that maybe she could discuss it with Daddy tonight.” By the way, I’m not perfect, but I’m trying.

But, oh, how in an un-perfect moment I would have loved to ZING her and spat something equally as ugly as “I’d like a NEW kid, like so and so.” Wow, that would have been extremely regrettable.

So, how do I explain that the “grass isn’t always greener” to Avery? I don’t suspect she’d quite understand. And I don’t think she’s really all that serious about wanting to swap out moms. Sincerely, I think she’s looking to get a reaction, and today it worked.

In either event, I think I’ll aim for 1 for 2 tomorrow. If I can just get one of them on my side….cue PR campaign now.

No comments: