Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gift


Dan and I always knew we wanted two kids. We weren’t sure what God had planned for us, but thought we’d try for two kids. Six months after Avery's first birthday we learned that I was pregnant. Sadly, we lost that pregnancy, but then, soon after, learned that I was pregnant again.

The third round of pregnancy was difficult for me, as I was acutely aware that my pregnancy was totally, utterly out of my control. Sure, I could do my part, but, ultimately, God’s hand would determine the outcome.

And the outcome was Romey. Oh, Romey. If you haven’t met her you just really can’t fully know what a sweet joy this kid is. I love Avery and Romey so differently, and yet, so similarly. Avery was our greatest surprise (and still surprises us on a daily basis), and Romey was our most hoped for.

And I want to explain the “hoped for” part because it doesn’t mean that Romey was more wanted. Moreso, it means that we didn’t know if our desire for another child aligned with God’s plan for us. And so we hoped for Romey.

And so you’ll understand why I love the picture above. I love that the holding hands thing lasted for a nano-second. I love that you can see both girls’ spunk in their facial expressions. I love that I can come up with hundreds of captions for this picture, one of which goes, “You better hurry up Mom, cause we’re about to cat fight!”

I love these girls and I’m so glad they have one another. They are a gift to us, but also to each other (whether they realize it or not).

No comments: