Friday, August 7, 2009

Headcount

I recently saw an advertisement promoting having more kids. No, it wasn’t really, but it was a masterfully orchestrated picture montage of a family of five. Naturally, the track was a lovely song; not the real audio of what must have really been going on to elicit such beautiful facial expressions, and loving gestures from all parties involved. Dan and I watched it independently and came to the same conclusion: we want more kids.

Of course, if you ask me after a full night’s sleep if I want more kids, the answer would be yes. If you wait until the be-witching hour, then I’ll tell you I’m done. If you ask on a Monday, I’ll say no. If you ask on a Saturday, I’ll say yes. Dan is also non-committal. Sometimes he’s misty-eyed and sentimental about the whole idea. Other moments he’s racing out the door before his alarm sounds.

And yet, we’re very aware that we’re smack dab in the middle of this window of opportunity. The time is now. Make a decision. Don’t get ten years down the road and regret not gutting through the newborn/toddler stuff.

Something (aforementioned advertisement) or someone always manages to conjure up the feelings of “Are we sure? Really, really sure?” Are we meant to be a party of four or a party of five? Do we really understand what it would be like for the dynamic duo to gain strength (and numbers) to become the triple threat and possibly EAT US ALIVE?

Transitioning from one child to two nearly did is in, and I wonder if going from two to three would be the final ‘nail in the coffin.’ And, even if we did put our hat in the ring, it certainly doesn’t mean that we would get pregnant. But, if perhaps we tried, then maybe we’d feel like we had done our part, and God would orchestrate it as He saw fit.

I think that God wires some people to handle bigger families, and sometimes I feel like maybe I’m wired to handle two. I want to know my girls. I want to provide them with as many opportunities as possible. To me, more than two children often sounds incredibly overwhelming, and yet some people raise three (or more) children artfully and gracefully.

Some good friends recently announced that they were expecting their first child, and Dan and I were (are) over-the-moon excited for them. Later, our sinister side sort of laughed about it, “They don’t know what they’ve just signed on for! This baby is going to kick their butt!” Of course, we were blissfully ignorant once too, and, those that see us/know us can vouch that we’re still getting our butt kicked.

Something unexpected happened: when this parents-to-be couple made their announcement I didn’t feel, “Gosh, I wish it were us.” In fact, I said, “Gosh, I’m glad it’s not us.” I felt like, “Hey, we’re beyond this. We’re done having kids, and we’re gleefully passing the baton.” Maybe?

I know one of my friends is reading this and saying, “Go for it!” She’s my dreamer friend, and full of faith that it will all work out. Realistically, though, I think I’m a little faith-less. Would another child round us out perfectly? Can we afford it? Is having another a responsible choice?

So, we’re going to pray about it through the end of the year, and see how we’re feeling at the beginning of 2010. If you’re in the same boat, and would like to share, I’d love to know how you’re processing your family’s ‘headcount.’

1 comment:

roxane said...

I remember the days you are going through very well. Dan was a very schdueled child, you could set the clock by him. He still is today, I know you may beg to differ but he was, and is in my eyes close to perfect. I was sure that God had given me this child because, He knew I could not handle a challanging one! So I didn't have a problem with having another baby. Then came Jake the newborn/toddler from hell. My mom will be 89 in a month, and has seen alot of babies in her time. She has said she has never seen a baby more challenging than Jake, but what a blessing he has become. He has made up for those years of lost sleep, tears and stressful situations. I wanted a little girl so bad...Be careful what you wish for, but for all the gray hair Tess has given me, she is a lifelong friend that I can count on when the chips are down. That's huge. And last but not least is Kate, yeah she came alittle late, but what I would have been missing if she had not come into our life. Two or Four your choice (or God') as in the Kate instance. I can't imagine my life without any of my children, and I can't say I'm the kind of mother that wanted a whole Shoe full of children (Remember my first statement.) Time goes by so quickly. Here I sit at 52, blessed with 4 good kids, 5 beautiful grandaughters, and finally a grandson on the way. Life doesn't get better than this, but in the early days life couldn't have gotten much worse at times. Good Luck in whatever decision you,Dan, and God make. You will live through it, and come out blessed on the other side. Love you lots Sus, and think of you often Your Mom in law. Roxane PS My favorite moments are when the whole family comes home, and the Shoe is full.