Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Shiny Happy People

Ever approach your child and pause, because you just don’t know where to start? Your child is covered with some gross substance, and has managed to spread the goods all over the crib, wall, bedding, etcetera, etcetera. Have you caught yourself surveying the room, and actually entertaining the thought to turn around, and walk back through the door?

Well, it must have been my turn cause during naptime today little Avery managed to grab the petroleum jelly off of the changing table, and smeared the entire container on herself, and her surroundings. I found her very distressed and very shiny.

This stunt earned a call to her father, where I dutifully reminded him that “your life is so much better than mine. You’re not going to believe what she did this time.” Poison control indicated that she’d be fine (if she had ingested some she’d be coughing, and gagging).

Avery’s now sporting a slick back hairstyle, and hanging out in her pack n’ play in her room. Before I laid her down she pointed to her crib, and said, “naughty.” Yep, pretty naughty.

Take my advice: throw away your petroleum jelly. I can’t remember ever using this stuff with Avery. Believe me – the clean up is a bear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I have DEFINITELY had those moments, but they are usually poop related!! Your story reminds me of my friend Christy D who found her oldest son in the crib smeared with something else that was slimy--but definitely not clear! Yep, poop. She confessed to me that I would no longer find that cute counted cross-stitched Baby Mickey/Minnie pillow that I had painstakingly made for his birth. It was now unrecognizable and had to be thrown out. YICK! Kids are amazing, in good ways--and bad. Evan just started hard core potty training today, but is forgetful about it now that dad is home and the fun is here. :) Anyway, thx for posting these. It's fun to catch up more regularly and to see how beautiful and grown up Avery is already!!
--Beth Krooswyk